How Would You Survive the Hunger Games?

Friday, January 11, 2013

This past week, we asked our tutors what their strategy for surviving the Huger Games would be: offensive or defensive? 

Here are the strategies from our offensive tutors:

"When I'm not on a sneaky, homicidal rampage I would hide in the forest and gather resources to aid my immediate survival. I would also attempt to utilize my powers of persuasion to seduce my enemies into forming allegiances with me; afterward, I would eliminate them one by one with no mercy." -Thomas Le, 12

"As for the actual killing part, I think I've played enough Assassin's Creed at my friends house to master jumping from trees and killing people." -Sydney Dolan, 10

"I would try to make as many friends as possible.  Then, I would fix them some food to show my friendship, but I would secretly poison their food so that they could die quietly." -Sarah Hudson, 11

"I would find a cave and make it look like I was living in it by putting some supplies and building a fire. When people went into the cave to "find me" I would barricade the entrance so they couldn't get out. If I thought they were strong enough to get out, I would put a lot of wood inside and light it on fire, so they would die from smoke inhalation." -Catherine Wiedmann, 10

"...staying on defense would never work... Going on offense would offer the greatest chance of survival." - Stephen Courtemanch, 11

"Give me a bow, an axe, a frying pan; I don't care, as long as it's effective in the "getting rid of the people trying to kill me" department. ...would you rather cower in a tree of be a ninja?" - Aleksey Ermolaev, 12

Some of our tutors have even formed their own career group: The Triple A Mafia

"Our members would be Aman Kapoor, Andy Fang, and I and we would be undefeatable. We would wreak havock across the lands and eventually it would just be the three of us, a fight to the death." - Andrew Dahbura, 11

"Everyone will disintegrate when I use my offensive pyro skills to burn entire forests and trees with scared, defensive fighters... I'd use my defensive skills to hide from these two [Andrew and Andy] and furtively sneak poison gas into their living environments... I will win." - Aman Kapoor, 12

"I can tell by Aman's sleep talking that he plans on poisoning me and Andrew when the three of us are the last ones in the Game. I have yet to decide whether or not I will allow him to proceed with such a backstabbing plan." - Andy Fang, 12

And here are some of our favorite quotes from a defensive standpoint:

"You will find me up in a tree; alive and as sane as can be." -Emily Clem, 11

"Since I’m a high school senior who borders on the lazy side, I would probably just sit back and let everybody kill each other for me if I was in the Hunger Games." -Anna Rhodes, 12

"I know the people in charge of the Games would create obstacles for me if I kept running away, but the only other option I'd have is to stealthily stay near the dangerous people and try to figure how to save myself without direct combat." -Shilpa Garg, 12

"I would be dead in like the first 20 minutes. Now assuming I was able to get past the cornicopia by running (Haha what is running? I dont even run.), I would probably climb a tree like Katniss did and stay up there the whole time." -Emma O'Brien, 12

"I would just crawl into a pathetic little ball and think happy thoughts." -Sarah Wills, 12

All in all, only nine out of thirty-two of our tutors chose a defensive strategy. What about you? How would you survive?